Early in 1977, thousands of artists, writers, musicians, activists and scholars from Africa and the black diaspora assembled in Lagos for FESTAC ’77, the 2nd World Black and African Festival of Arts and Culture.
Devised by Chimurenga and edited by Ntone Edjabe, this is the first publication to consider FESTAC in all its cultural-historic complexity, addressing the planetary scale of the event alongside the personal and artistic encounters it made possible.
Read more here and view sample spreads from the publication below.
- FESTAC 77 BOOK – OUT NOW
- FESTAC ’77 Celebration in New York City – 23 – 25 October 2019
- FESTAC ’77: PASS Playlist
- FESTAC ’77 – the Book and LP soon come!
- Archie Shepp’s Shirt Suggests
- “We should take out that word ‘national’ and reconstruct that word ‘theatre’. It could become a play house or an artist city.”
- The Nigerian Art of Patronage
- The Pharaoh’s New Clothes
- Crossroads Republic